LESSON: Pebble Meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh
Listening to Stones: A Meditation with Pebbles
By Thich Nhat Hanh
This meditation can be done by anyone, at any age, and is an easy way to avoid stress and remember the peace within us. Children can play this as a “game,” practicing slowness and listening. Modeling is the best example and children will be eager to “Listen to stones” with you. It is not a game to be pushed but tried and happily ended so you may look forward to playing another time. Finding special stones for the game can add more interest and intention. Also, try playing in candlelight.
1. Sit comfortably on the floor or on a pillow with your legs crisscrossed or with your legs bent under you. Head in the heavens, seat on the earth and heart in between.
2. Place 3-5 stones on the floor next to your left leg. Breathe.
3. Place your hands on your knees and prepare to listen to the stones.
4. VERY SLOWLY move your left hand to pick up one stone, then hold it on your left knee. There is no need to look at the stone as it will talk through your hand and heart. Breathe.
5. After listening and feeling the stone for a while, VERY SLOWLY move the stone to your right hand and rest it on your right knee.
6. After listening and feeling the stone for a while, VERY SLOWLY place the stone on the floor by your thigh. Put your right hand back on your right knee. Breathe.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 until all stones are by your right thigh. Breathe.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 moving the stones one by one, this time from RIGHT to LEFT. Don’t forget to breathe.
9. Repeat back and forth as slowly and as many times as you can.
10. Remember the slower you move, the more the stones speak to you.
Peace to you.
For a similar guided meditation from Plum Village, click here.