Youth & Family Program: San Francisco Zen Center
September 2 @ 9:45 am - 11:45 am
On the first Sunday of the month, the San Francisco Zen Center holds a special program for families. This begins at 9:45 am with a quiet song circle outside the zendo. At 10:00 am, the group enters the zendo together where the lecturer will address the children. Then families proceed into activities including farm projects, mindfulness, movement, and ritual.
The program aims to help children cultivate attention, empathy, and understanding and utilizes attunement to seasonal rhythms to foster well-being. A Youth & Family Program Practice Guide is available in the Center’s bookstore and includes many ideas for practicing at home as a family.
Each program closes with a community building circle at 11:45 am, sharing delicious muffins from the Green Gulch Bakery. After the program, families are welcome to attend the farmers’ market outside the zendo.
Sign-in and Song Circle begins at 9:45 am near the side entrance of the zendo. The program ends at 11:45 am. Children are to be supervised at all times.
Suggested donation: $20 per family or as your means allow. No one turned away.
The Three Lamps:
I vow to develop a kind heart.
I vow to develop a clear mind.
I vow to honor the Triple Treasure.
Body like the mountain.
Heart like the ocean.
Mind like the sky.
- No program in January (due to Intensive)
- February 4: Mid-Winter Ritual: Blessing the Fields for Spring
- March 4: Annual Spring Treasure Hunt
- April 1: Buddha’s Birthday celebration
- Saturday, April 14: Zen-a-thon: FUNdraising for our Temples
- May 6: Garden Day! Planting the Three Sisters
- June 3: Summer Solstice Celebration
- July 1: Interdependence Day!
- August 5: The Joy of Generosity
- September 2: Equanimity of Equinox
- October 7: Ancestor’s Ritual
- November 4: The Attitude of Gratitude
- December 2: Winter Solstice Celebration: The Buddha’s Enlightenment